Stories

The 200 story nodes created in commemoration of the Sir John A. Macdonald Bicentennial can be searched by more than twenty themes, through the pins on the interactive map and by date on the timeline. 

You're viewing 15 stories about “Religion
St Mary’s Cathedral before the enlargements of 1889. Source: Henderson booklet on Kingston c1888, coll. J. McKendry

Kingston’s Saints: St. Mary’s

1808-1880

A few Roman Catholics continued on in Kingston following the British capture of Fort Frontenac and their spiritual needs were first met by a small church built on the corner of William and Bagot st

Map of Wolfe Island showing the canal from the illustrated Atlas of Frontenac, Lennox and Addington (1878). Source: The Canadian County Atlas Project, Rare Books and Special Collections, McGill University Library.

Kingston Bypassed: Railways

1830-1892

Another challenge to Kingston’s lake/river transhipment function was a new technology: rail.

Regiopolis College

Regiopolis College

1839

Bishop Alexander Macdonell laid the cornerstone for Regiopolis, originally meant to be a seminary to train priests, in June 1839.

St. Andrew's Mance

St. Andrew's Mance

1841

In late June 1841, George Browne, in town as the government architect while Kingston was the capital of Upper Canada and Lower Canada, called for tenders to build St Andrew’s Presbyterian Manse in

Peter Jones from his History of the Ojebway Indians with Especial Reference to their Conversion to Christianity; with a Brief Memoir of the Writer.

John A. and the Union Church

February 1, 1841

On what later became the site of the First Congregationalist Church of Kingston, the Union Church served various congregations who had not yet built independent churches in Kingston.

Abraham Nordheimer. Source: The Jews of Kingston, A Microcosm of Canadian Jewry?; Marion E. Meyer; 1983; The Limestone Press.

Abraham Nordheimer

1842-1844

Abraham Nordheimer was the first Jewish  inhabitant of Kingston.  He moved here in 1842 and placed an advertisement in the Kingston Chronicle and Gazette offering "...lessons on the Piano Forte, Vi

St Mary's Cathedral

St Mary's Cathedral

1843

During the time when Kingston was the capital of Lower Canada and Upper Canada, St Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedral was designed in Gothic Revival style by P.-L.

St. Mark's Church, Barriefield

St. Mark's Church, Barriefield

1843

“Built by Subscription A.D. 1843 A. Brunell Inventor” is inscribed on one of the church’s stones.

The First and Last Words of a Pastor to His People

The First and Last Words of a Pastor to His People

1843

In June of 1843, less than a month after his death, the first and last sermons of Reverend Robert David Cartwright of St.

Statement of Marriage between John A. Macdonald and Isabella Clark. Source: Library and Archives Canada.

John A. Marries Isabella Clark

September 1, 1843

In the summer of 1843, John A.'s cousin, Isabella, arrived in Kingston from England. Before long, Macdonald was courting her.

St. George's Anglican Church - architectural drawing. Source: Queen's University Archives.

John Harvey and St. George's Church

1847-1896

John Harvey, a member of the Royal Artilliary was stationed in Kingston in the 1840s.  During this time he conducted bible classes at St.

Cataraqui Cemetary

Cataraqui Cemetary

1850

By 1850, the year Cataraqui Cemetery was incorporated, the city’s graveyards were filled, and a new site for a “garden” or “rural” cemetery, well removed from the downtown, was needed.  Seventy acr

1800181018201830184018501860187018801890190019101920193019401950196019701980199020002010