Stories

The 200 story nodes created in commemoration of the Sir John A. Macdonald Bicentennial can be searched by more than twenty themes, through the pins on the interactive map and by date on the timeline. 

You're viewing 4 stories about “First Peoples
Plan showing islands in Rice Lake circa 1875. Source: Library and Archives Canada.

The Kingston “Indians”

1837

In 1837, the “Kingston” Mississauga were granted title to their present location, Alderville, in Alnwick Township to the east of Peterborough.

Sir John A Macdonald circa 1842 or 1843. Artist unknown. Source: Library and Archives Canada.

The Brandt Trial

1839

In the autumn of 1839, John A. defended Abraham Brandt, a Mohawk man, against the charge of murder in the brutal beating and death of fellow Mohawk man, John Marrikell. John A.

Peter Jones from his History of the Ojebway Indians with Especial Reference to their Conversion to Christianity; with a Brief Memoir of the Writer.

John A. and the Union Church

February 1, 1841

On what later became the site of the First Congregationalist Church of Kingston, the Union Church served various congregations who had not yet built independent churches in Kingston.

156 King St East at Lower Union St. Source: photograph by Jennifer McKendry

Earl Place

1851

From the 1857-58 city directory: “The spacious mansion lately erected by Colin Miller, Esq., and its ample garden grounds, form a pleasing feature midst the bustle and business of a principal city

1800181018201830184018501860187018801890190019101920193019401950196019701980199020002010