Stories

The 200 story nodes created in commemoration of the Sir John A. Macdonald Bicentennial can be searched by more than twenty themes, through the pins on the interactive map and by date on the timeline. 

You're viewing 18 stories about “Business and Economics
Kingston City Hall and the Market Battery, 1857. Source: Queen's University Archives, William Sawyer fonds.

Kingston: A Geopolitical Location

1780-1890

Following the arrival of the United Empire Loyalists (UEL) in the 1780s, sensitivity between the Americans and the British over their mutual frontier was to have implications for Kingston for the n

The Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence Seaway

1800-1900

With no Highway 401 connecting Kingston to the rest of Ontario, Kingston’s location on the shores of Lake Ontario contributed to its significance. The Great Lakes and the St.

Eliza Grimason. Source: Newland family private collection, reprinted in Lena Newman, The John A. Macdonald Album, Tundra Books, 1974.

Eliza Grimason

1821-1916

Of the several women in John A. Macdonald's life, Eliza Grimason stands out first as a client and later as a confidante and close friend.

From the New Forts - Point Levi - Looking down the St. Lawrence by John Herbert Caddy circa 1841. Source: Library and Archives Canada.

Kingston Bypassed: Imperial Policy and Canals

1825-1959

The St. Lawrence River, Lake Ontario and their tributary rivers were corridors of movement since the prehistory of the Kingston region.

Morton's Brewery Rebuilt

Morton's Brewery Rebuilt

1840-1864
In 1840, the Morton Brewery and Distillery reopened and included the buildings that now form the base of the Tett Centre and the Isabel Bader.
Hardy's Buildings

Hardy's Buildings

1841

During the First Capital period (1841-44), there was a flurry of building activity and Ontario Street, being on the waterfront, was a desirable site for commerce and industry.

Ramsay and Ford newspaper notice. Source: Chronicle and Gazette, 21 May 1841, page 3, column 2.

Kingston's First Photographers

1841

Kingston’s first known photographers arrived in the city in May 1841, two years after photography was invented in Europe. Messrs.

Students with home-built car, Queen's University, Kingston, ON circa 1916 by Clifford M. Johnston. Source: Library and Archives Canada.

Queen's University

October 16, 1841 - present day

Sir John A. Macdonald attended and participated in the earliest Kingston meetings that led to the establishment of what is now Queen's University.

Commercial Mart

Commercial mart

1842

Early in 1842, while Kingston was still the capital of Upper Canada and Lower Canada, government architect George Browne called for tenders for “Three Cut-Stone Wholesale Stores” for merchant Charl

Abraham Nordheimer. Source: The Jews of Kingston, A Microcosm of Canadian Jewry?; Marion E. Meyer; 1983; The Limestone Press.

Abraham Nordheimer

1842-1844

Abraham Nordheimer was the first Jewish  inhabitant of Kingston.  He moved here in 1842 and placed an advertisement in the Kingston Chronicle and Gazette offering "...lessons on the Piano Forte, Vi

Bellevue House

Bellevue House

1843

In the early 1840s, the style of Bellevue House was unusual in the Kingston area and, in fact, in all the province, as a moderate-sized house in Italian or Tuscan style with the picturesque composi

Sir John A. circa 1856 by F.S. Richardson. Source: Library and Archives Canada.

The Trust and Loan Company

1843-1948

In 1843 Macdonald helped secure the charter for the Kingston-based Trust and Loan Company, a mortgage bank.

Telegraph poles (loaded with wires). Source: Library and Archives Canada.

The Telegraph Arrives in Kingston

1847

In 1847 the communications revolution spurred by the invention of the telegraph arrived in Kingston and decorated the landscape with the required poles and cables.

Bank of Montreal entrance at City Hall circa 1920.

Bank of British North America

1850-1926

Of all the tenants housed in City Hall over its 170-plus history, none had a longer stay than the Bank of British North America (BBNA).  Beginning in 1850 it occupied space in the south wing with o