The Female Benevolent Society

1841-1849

As Kingston grew as a garrison town, commercial centre and port, so did the demand for social services. In 1832, the construction of a hospital was approved by Parliament and a building to accommodate 120 patients was built in 1835, but it remained unoccupied for want of equipment until 1838. It was then directed to house the Parliament of the Union of the Provinces of Upper and Lower Canada from 1841-1844. During this period, a philanthropic group, the Female Benevolent Society, volunteered its services. The needs of the poor of Kingston became more pressing and the city petitioned the legislature for support. It received a grant of £700 for the "relief of the indigent sick at Kingston" for 1844 and 1845, with £200 being directed to the Female Benevolent Society.