The Architecture of William Coverdale

1842-1851
The Architecture of William CoverdalePinterest
131-133 King St. E. Built between 1842 and 1843, this large Coverdale-designed limestone double house was originally owned by Novel Palmer, a chemist (druggist) and the founder of the Kingston Spectator newspaper. Half of the building was first occupied by Governor-General Sir Charles Metcalfe during his time in Kingston. The Kingston Seminary for Young Ladies occupied part of the building in 1851.
The Architecture of William CoverdalePinterest
178-180 Johnson St. Greystone Manor was owned for many years by Thomas Askew. It was built by Coverdale in 1843. John A. Macdonald was a tenant from 1849 to 1852. Macdonald’s son, Hugh John, was born here. The shed dormer (window projecting from a sloping roof on the third floor) is not original. This house shares many of the features of neighbouring stone and wood buildings along this stretch of Johnson Street, including its flat facade, symmetry, side gable roof and central entrance-ways. The series of double and terrace houses on this street make economical use not only of the land but also of the prevalent and on-the-spot building material – Kingston limestone. Source: City of Kingston.
The Architecture of William CoverdalePinterest
90 Johnson St. This house was built by Coverdale in 1851 for James A. Henderson, a barrister and later a judge. It is a handsome house with stone chimney caps that resemble those found on other Coverdale buildings.

Born in England in 1801, it is unclear when William Coverdale arrived in Kingston though the birth of his son in Kingston is recorded in 1833. In 1834, he replaced John Mills as the "master builder" at the Kingston Penitentiary, a post he held until 1848. Coverdale began referring to himself as an architect in 1842 and in 1844 he took over the supervision of the construction of City Hall from George Browne. Following the destruction of the original rear wing by fire and 1865, he designed the plans for the Market Wing we know today. Following his death, his son, William Miles Coverdale, carried out his plans. Along with a wide assortment of homes and businesses, Coverdale also designed a number of churches that still stand today including St. James, St. John's and Sydenham Street Church.  
 
For more information about the architecture of William Coverdale, download the historic walking tour Architects Newland & Coverdale.