Sir John A & "The County"

October 8, 1834
The unveiling of 'Holding Court.'  L-R: Robert Quaiff (Mayor of Prince Edward County), Daryl Kramp (M.P. Hastings and Prince Edward), Janet Minor (Treasurer of the Law Society of Upper Canada), Ruth Abernethy (Artist), David Warrick (Chair of the Macdonald Project). Source: The Macdonald Project.Pinterest
The unveiling of 'Holding Court.' L-R: Robert Quaiff (Mayor of Prince Edward County), Daryl Kramp (M.P. Hastings and Prince Edward), Janet Minor (Treasurer of the Law Society of Upper Canada), Ruth Abernethy (Artist), David Warrick (Chair of the Macdonald Project). Source: The Macdonald Project.

While often referred to as Macdonald of Kingston, he and his family originally had close associations with Prince Edward County and the Bay of Quinte region to the west of Kingston from 1824-1835. Soon after his arrival in 1820, Hugh Macdonald moved to "The County" and was a merchant in Adolphustown Township and for ten years operated the mill at Glenora. In 1832, John A. renewed his connection with "The County" when he was appointed manager of Mackenzie's office in Napanee and, in 1833–35, to Mackenzie's firm in Hallowell (Picton). Ironically, his first court case was defending himself against a charge of assault on October 8, 1834. On Canada Day, 2015, a life-size bronze statue was unveiled in Picton depicting the young Macdonald addressing the jury.