Rockwood House

1841
Rockwood HousePinterest
Rockwood House, Estates Lane, Kingston Provincial Campus. Source: photo by Jennifer McKendry.
Rockwood HousePinterest
Rockwood House, Estates Lane, Kingston Provincial Campus. Source: photo by Jennifer McKendry.

This Palladian villa is of national significance in the history of Canadian architecture. In 1841, architect George Browne took his ultimate inspiration from the 1570 Villa Rotunda in Vicenza, Italy, by Andrea Palladio, who wrote one of the earliest books on architecture. Rockwood’s skylight illuminates an open interior space going from the roof to the main floor, which features an octagonal tribune complete with niches. The Cartwright family owned a large acreage fronting Lake Ontario on the west side of Portsmouth Village. It was sold to the government in 1856 for an asylum, and their villa became the Medical Superintendent’s House.