Kingston's First Photographers

1841
Ramsay and Ford newspaper notice. Source: Chronicle and Gazette, 21 May 1841, page 3, column 2.Pinterest
Ramsay and Ford newspaper notice. Source: Chronicle and Gazette, 21 May 1841, page 3, column 2.

Kingston’s first known photographers arrived in the city in May 1841, two years after photography was invented in Europe. Messrs. Ramsay and Ford brought their itinerant daguerreotype studio to the “Court House Yard,” now the Custom House building at King and Clarence Streets, where they took miniature portraits from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Likely benefitting from Kingston’s status as capital of the Canadas and the resulting population boom, Ramsay and Ford advertised their services until July 1841. Kingston’s next photographer would not arrive in the city until over a year later.