Kingston Penitentiary North Lodge

1845
Kingston Penetentiary North LodgePinterest
Kingston Penitentiary North Lodge showing the bell tower added in 1895. Source: photo by Jennifer McKendry.
Kingston Penetentiary North LodgePinterest
Kingston Penitentiary North Lodge from inside the walls. Source: photo by Jennifer McKendry.

In the autumn of 1840, architect William Coverdale presented his plans for a stone perimeter wall to replace the decaying wooden fence protecting Kingston Penitentiary. Over the next five years he worked with convicts to build the new walls, corner towers and north lodge fronting King St W. near Sir John A. Macdonald Boulevard. His design for an ominous entrance told persons on the street side to behave and those entering as prisoners that their lives were now under control – including a rule of silence – by authorities. The design originated in the round-arch openings and rondels found on Roman triumphal arches. Through the penal system, society was triumphant over deviancy.