Kingston Mechanics' Institution

1834-1911
Kingston Mechanic's InstitutionPinterest
Mechanics Institute plaque circa 1834. The plaque is on display in the Central Branch of the Kingston Frontenac Public Library. Source: Kingston Frontenac Public Library.

In 1840, the Kingston Mechanic's Institute was six years old and the struggle to find stability came to an end. With a new board -- and a new location at the corner of King and Queen streets which included a reading room, lecture room, museum, laboratory and library -- the Kingston Mechanic's Institute was described in the Chronicle & Gazette on March 21, 1840 as having "upwards of 230 members ... several valuable works ... a beautiful pair of globes, a neat collection of natural curiosities and minerals ... and some score of newspapers."

By 1911, the Kingston Mechanic's Institute had become the Kingston Public Library.