John A. Opens His Own Law Office

1835

John A. Macdonald is just 20 when, in the summer of 1835, he announces in the Chronicle and Gazette the opening of his law practice on Quarry Street (now 171 Wellington St., Kingston). A year later he takes on a 15-year-old legal clerk, Oliver Mowat. The two know each other through family and school connections. The Mowats emigrated from Scotland six years before the Macdonalds and both families are prominent in the local Presbyterian Church.