Heathfield

1865-1876
Heathfield Villa circa 1900. Source: Archives, Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul.Pinterest
Heathfield Villa circa 1900. Source: Archives, Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul.
Entrance to the Heathfield property circa 1900. Source: Archives, Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul.Pinterest
Entrance to the Heathfield property circa 1900. Source: Archives, Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul.
Heathfield Villa. Source: Archives, Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul.Pinterest
Heathfield Villa. Source: Archives, Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul.

Built in the 1830s in what was then the countryside, the residence changed hands a number of times in the first few years, but became known as Heathfield after Charles Heath, the property’s owner for 1854 to 1865. Heathfield was purchased by James Williamson, John A.'s brother-in-law, in 1865 and was the primary home of James, his wife, Margaret, and Margaret and John A.'s sister Louisa in a rather complicated arrangement. The fiercely independent Louisa would only live in her brother's home so the entire house was rented by Sir John A. for her to live in. Louisa then took on James and Margaret as boarders. James Williamson sold the property after Margaret's death and the family moved into the city. Since 1930, the land has been the home to the Sisters of Provicence of St. Vincent de Paul.