Earl Place

1851
156 King St East at Lower Union St. Source: photograph by Jennifer McKendryPinterest
156 King St East at Lower Union St. Source: photograph by Jennifer McKendry

From the 1857-58 city directory: “The spacious mansion lately erected by Colin Miller, Esq., and its ample garden grounds, form a pleasing feature midst the bustle and business of a principal city thoroughfare.” The gardens may be gone but the handsome design, possibly by William Coverdale, lives on with its arched windows, as well as blind ones articulating the end wall. In the 1850s, through the development of industries and the annexation of lot 24 (west of Barrie Street), the city was recovering from its abandonment as First Capital. The name, Earl Place, reflects the Earl family: Colin’s mother-in-law Anne Earl was the daughter of Sir William Johnson and Molly Brant.