Bank of Montreal

1845
225 King St East at William. Source: photograph by Jennifer McKendryPinterest
225 King St East at William. Source: photograph by Jennifer McKendry

It was unusual to find significant construction in the immediate aftermath of Kingston being abandoned as the capital in 1844, but the Bank of Montreal proved an exception, although the as-built stone building was less ambitious than the proposal designs -- perhaps because there was a need to save costs. It was, nonetheless, a handsome structure with giant order Tuscan pilasters supporting an attic storey. The public entrance was on King, while the bank manager’s quarters were accessed from William Street. Architect Edward Crane called for tenders in February 1845. It became the Frontenac Club for men from 1908 to 1930.