Bank of British North America

1850-1926
Bank of Montreal entrance at City Hall circa 1920.Pinterest
Bank of Montreal entrance at City Hall circa 1920.

Of all the tenants housed in City Hall over its 170-plus history, none had a longer stay than the Bank of British North America (BBNA).  Beginning in 1850 it occupied space in the south wing with offices for the manager and clerks and two large public banking rooms.  After the BBNA merged into the Bank of Montreal in 1918 it continued as a BoM branch for the next 8 years.

Tags: